Last update: G_F (26.05.2010)
Last update: RNDr. Bruno Jungwiert, Ph.D. (16.05.2012)
1. Modern morphological, spectro-photometric and kinematical classifications of galaxies
2. Galaxies at different cosmological distances (z=0-10).
Observational methods at different cosmological distances
Main photometric and spectroscopic surveys of galaxies:
2dFGRS, SDSS, GEMS, VVDS, COSMOS, SAURON, ATLAS3D, CALIFA, ...
3. Color diagram of galaxies: red sequence, blue cloud, green valley.
Passive vs. active evolution of galaxies.
4. Spatially resolved stellar populations in galaxies. History
of star formation in different types of galaxies. Schmidt-Kennicutt law
5. Dark matter and Modified Newtonian dynamics as its alternative.
Universality of the dark halo density profile. Navarro-Frenk-White and
Einasto profiles. Triaxiality, orientation and truncation of the halo.
6. Interactions of galaxies. Galaxy mergers: minor vs. major mergers. Tidal
deformations. Collisional debris (shells, rings, bridges, tidal tails).
Transformation of galactic type due to galaxy interaction. Galaxy formation
7. Cosmological evolution of the mass and luminosity functions of galaxies.
Cosmological evolution of the global star formation rate. Influence of galaxy
interactions on the star formation rate
8. Co-evolution of galaxies and central super-massive black-holes.
Feedback AGN-host galaxy. Correlations between the central black-hole mass and
properties of host galaxies. Cosmological evolution of these correlations.
The influence of the central black-hole on the radial profile of the stellar
density. Nuclear star clusters. Binary supermassive black-holes, binary
9. Theory of the spiral density waves - history and presence.
Instability of disks. Stationary vs. transient density waves.
Kinematical vs dynamical density waves.
10. Migration mechanisms in galaxies. Bars, double-bars. Angular momentum exchange on Lindblad resonances and
corotation resonance. Migration caused by transient spiral arms. Migration caused by resonance overlap.
Other migration mechanisms.
11. Chemodynamical evolution of galaxies. Radial gradients of abundances. Age-metallicity and age-velocity
relations. Metallicity distribution function. The G-dwarf problem.
12. Current standard Lambda-CDM cosmological model and its implications
for the formation and evolution of galaxies and galaxy clusters/superclusters.
Evolution of galaxy mass. Galaxy collisions vs cold and hot accretion.
13. N-body/hydrodynamical simulations of galaxies and of the cosmic
structure (Millenium, Aquarius, Via Lactea, ...)
Cambridge University Press; 1st edition (2010), ISBN-13: 978-0521857932